Fairy Tail Online RP

EXP & Jobs Z0wCCXI

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Fairy Tail Online RP

EXP & Jobs Z0wCCXI

Fairy Tail Online RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome ! Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969. You have made 37 posts! Please welcome our newest member, https://fairytailonline-rp.rpg-board.net/u326!

Site Maintenance. Please Move Here: www.fairytailhaven.forumotion.com

EXP & Jobs

Lady
    Lady

EXP & Jobs ODFYPdI

EXP & Jobs Empty EXP & Jobs

Post by Lady Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:12 am

I previously pitched this idea in chat to a few people who seemed to like it, so therefore i created a topic to get more feedback. This is about Jobs and EXP.
    I want to start off by saying that i have seen this system work on several different sites, so keep that in mind as you read over this.

Out of all the Fairy Tail sites i have seen, made, participated in etc, Over half of the populace despises job grinding for EXP. Cause in essence, would you enjoy rping the same thing over and over again?? Sure jobs have different storylines, but they still feel ... well they feel like Real Life Work... ( and for us adults we don't want to come on and RP about working after our 8 hour shift XD ). Either way... Thinking back on things I watched a few arcs of Fairy Tail recently and i realized that Natsu and Lucy really don't gain any power or knowledge from "Jobs". No they earn it from saving the damn world so many times... but i think you get my point. ( Yes i know this is an AU site mainly and does not follow the series to a T )

What i propose is a system that allows EXP to be earned from more than just jobs. Mainly in the form of RP Threads like Socials, Solo's, Training and Duels.
    We will get into the mechanics of that in just a moment however, a few explanations are needed first.
    This encourages members to create threads that are based around personal plots instead of trying to make jobs more interesting than they really are, and also pushes players to write longer posts, thus pushing members to grow RP wise.
    No i am not saying get rid of jobs, but i think they should be cut down to what jobs really earn them, and that is Jewels. In the show they didn't earn EXP in jobs, no they went on jobs for money!

Now to get into a little bit of the mechanical part of this idea.... It is actually very simple.
    For every 50 words written in a post (rounded down) you are awarded 1 EXP point. This means a post of 570 words would earn you 11 EXP (570/50=11.4 rounded down to 11). EXP is gained per post, and should be kept track off with something like this.

[WC = 100 Words]
    [EXP = 2 EXP ( Then place the total currently for the threads here)]

When players have gathered a substantial amount of EXP through threads, they will need to collect the threads and tally up the EXP for a claim. This can be done in the Meta Game Forums. The claim is pretty simple, by posting all of the threads links they tally it up and ask for a claim, then a moderator comes in and approves their math for the EXP Total and changes their sidebar.

I can say personally as a staff member on several sites, That this is more than doable staff wise. It does not ask for any more attention that approving job requests do. As a member of current sites, this promotes me to Write longer posts and participate in more threads than i ever have before. Threads that encourage Character development and not just going monster hunting.

Think about it and please post your comments.

EDIT: The idea that this system can be exploited was brought up. And i have a few things to add.

1: ) ANY system created can be exploited. There are people out there that just like to try and test the waters.
    2: ) The way to prevent exploitation is nothing more than mods DOING THEIR JOB! Moderators have to read through Completed Jobs ANYWAYS ( well they are supposed to >.> )
    3: ) If people try to write nonsense to get a higher WC, no one will want to rp with them. Why would i rp with someone who put 'the the' in front of everything?
    4: ) Once again, Mods are supposed to read through the claims... But they already do that with jobs soooo no work overload
    5: ) There won't be a massive amount of claims everyday. If you have to assign a mod to JUST CLAIMS.. I'll volunteer if need be.
    6:) This system DOES NOT MAKE RPING A CHORE! Therefore members enjoy themselves by creating their own plots.

That is all for now.
    Selenia
    Selenia

EXP & Jobs Qm1sqjP

EXP & Jobs Empty Re: EXP & Jobs

Post by Selenia Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:49 am

I think if we can have people that commit themselves to thoroughly grade RP threads that people submit (just how Position Samples are read, the only difference being this would be on a much higher volume so it would need people devoted to it), then it would work. However, I don’t think all threads would necessarily merit EXP gain, unless everyone thinks it should just be universal. For example, usually socials don’t merit EXP, but anyways, I’d want to see an argument for socials getting EXP, and if not then we’re going to need some devoted people to head up this section of the site.
    Lady
    Lady

EXP & Jobs ODFYPdI

Post by Lady Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:54 am

I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE! XD nah but seriously. I'm harsh enough on grading as is. I can do Character Applications and Claims and stick with that, considering i'm pretty active i think that would be okay.

Hmmm i think it should be universal cause not all socials are sunshine and Daisies. A Lot of them are training threads, duels, and all together plot threads. A Job is nothing more than a social where you fight shit, or find shit, or unlock shit... If it is universal they will gain EXP on jobs as well.
    If you want to crack down we can allow EXP gain on threads that only provoke character development instead of going to the mall threads.

EDIT: Last minute thought.. The EXP gain is so low, on average someone would earn 100 EXP per thread. So even with socials, the gain amount is so small compared to EP gained on just jobs. So i think it can just be universal.
    Ruby
    Ruby

EXP & Jobs ODFYPdI

Post by Ruby Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:16 am

Yeah I'm really not biased either way, definitely want to hear what other people have to say ^~^

stares at dev

This is Selenia btw lol
    Kyoto
    Kyoto

EXP & Jobs N51AM3g

Post by Kyoto Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:50 am

I'm here. So in response I do think that the grading of topics will require mods to actually READ the threads and posts as people as mentioned above can make social topics that are very elaborate and based on random things just to keep the thread going. I believe threads should yield same rewards as jobs especially if the characters are developing themselves. I like the idea and don't mind exp being rewarded for social topics as long as the topic is something relevant and not just random girl talk (for example)
    Norou Shikage
    Norou Shikage

EXP & Jobs TatR81B

Post by Norou Shikage Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:32 pm

Well im going to keep this as simple as possible. 100% for this though if we are going to do this I think that there should now be a slight difference between jobs as in jobs yielding more jewels and less exp where as socials/plot/etc earns you more exp than jewels.

Welp, that's it.
    Bacon
    Bacon

EXP & Jobs D3kALDY

Post by Bacon Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:52 pm

I have skimmed through the above as my thoughts were requested by quite a few of you sooooooooo here it is. Also, please note that some of the things i touched base on here may have been mentioned, but seeing as i skimmed, it may after slipped my mind .
    I'm fine with the whole threads for EXP, but I refuse to allow all threads to merit such gains. Reason being that some people can just BS so much on a topic and it's nothing to do with anything which would just send the system down the drain in my eyes. After all, who's to stop those kind of threads from pouring in? Sure not everyone will do it, but it's better to end the possibility of there being so in the future.
    What we can do is perhaps have some sort of template in some sort of section such as this:

Username: Self Explanatory
    Why: This can be named something else. What this would entail is have the person explain why the thread deserves EXP. They dont have to write a loooooooooot here. Perhaps a sentence or two to simply give us an overview if it's a plot thread, social that had some sort of unique aspect or influence on the character, etc.
    Link(s): AAAAAAAAnd of course the link.

I think with this, we would have a clear view of what the threads are about so we can skim through it and such.
    Lady
    Lady

EXP & Jobs ODFYPdI

Post by Lady Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:59 pm

I like that idea Bacon, perhaps elaborating on it more. I absolutely hate doing jobs, all my characters prefer to gain growth through plots and developing relationship with other Characters. This being IC archenemies, or battles with other guilds, growth in my own guild ect. So with your 'claim' template would staff determine the amount of exp gained if they were to do a whole plot arc IC? Or would they keep the 50 words = 1 EXP?
    Kyoto
    Kyoto

EXP & Jobs N51AM3g

Post by Kyoto Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:07 am

Honestly the person shouldn't even explain why they think they deserve EXP because what is going to have someone will be rewarded and someone who might think their topic was equal or better won't get rewarded. Why not roll a dice to decide rewards for topics that way no-one can complain. So the person at the end of the topic the person grading rolls the dice and depending on the reward determines the value of the amount. So if they rolled exo it'd be 50 words / 1 exp. Jewels would be whatever the amount is normally for the topic of quality and length.
    Lady
    Lady

EXP & Jobs ODFYPdI

Post by Lady Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:25 am

I am really not trying to be mean when i say this but 'Eww dice'. I hates them >.> but that is a personal opinion. Honestly i can't see leaving everything up to the chance of a die.... And it would be safer to just choose whether EXP can only be earned on suggestive threads or universal. I am more for universal, cause even though there might be lots of bullshit threads. 1. ) like stated above, the EXP gain is mediocre compared to what is required for rank ups & 2. ) At least they are active...

EDIT: My whole suggestion behind this was Events and Jobs being the only way to earn Jewels. So missions will still be required to earn money. But they are not used for EXP gain through boring Job Grinding. I would much rather just take over the world IC.
    Kyoto
    Kyoto

EXP & Jobs N51AM3g

Post by Kyoto Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:21 pm

True but that's the problem with having multiple mods that grade completely different. As said in other threads needs to be consistent among mods on how they grade for reasons I stated above. Like I said I don't mind universal exp in threads aswell as long as people have equal chance to gain exp.
    Mizuko
    Mizuko

EXP & Jobs N51AM3g

Post by Mizuko Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:05 pm

Okay, I'll agree with Kyoto and Lady here. If we make people explain why their thread deserves EXP, it'll just cause arguing, and it will also just end up wasting the time of the moderators. People gain EXP all the time, IRL, if you think about it. Your brain constantly takes in everything you do, and pulls out what? The important stuff. The stuff that it uses later on. You never know what you're going to keep, sometimes. So defining certain things as 'important' and others as 'not important' won't apply well if we want to make this linear with real life. I prefer the 50 words= 1 EXP thing, but with ALL threads, social, and job. It'll save both time, and it'll make the whole job spamming thing less of a necessity, and therefore making the site less of a chore.
    Lady
    Lady

EXP & Jobs ODFYPdI

Post by Lady Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:18 pm

Aye. You have to ask yourself, Why do you join a RP site? TO RP AND MAKE STORIES!!! To be the person you can't be.... Not to job spam... Plus, as stated before... The EXP Gain is miniscule compared to earning it on just jobs. 50 words for 1 EXP. If the typical post is 500 Words that is 10 EXP per post. If a thread is 20 posts long, that is 200 EXP. A Job usually ranges 1000 for D Rank ( on most sites ). So It is not like they will be gaining massive amounts for going shopping.
    On another note, Jobs are essential as they are the means of Obtaining Jewels! Which follows along Canon wise, as that is why Natsu and them went on jobs. Jewels are essential means to gaining more spell slots and the like.

I would rather RP for fun, then see RPing as any kind of chore to complete a task to achieve a silly amount of exp and jewels to just DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN!...

That is my standings. Since this was my idea, if you need further explanation the process of CLAIMING the EXP, just let me know.
    Norou Shikage
    Norou Shikage

EXP & Jobs TatR81B

Post by Norou Shikage Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:26 pm

Im pretty sure this has already been said but I would like to reiterate if it has been said. I'm fine with the 50 = 1 EXP however this should be used for passive roleplaying gains so that people don't HAVE to do jobs to rank up though it should be kept that doing jobs rewards higher amounts of EXP and Jewels because they do require some work and I suppose to some it feels like a "chore" to do missions... (despite the fact that doing missions is also writing stories and being someone you can't be.) So honestly unless missions are going to reward a flat rate of exp instead of the same 50 wc = 1 exp or they would reward something like 3-4X the amount such as 50wc = 3-4 EXP then I would be against this system.

I have nothing against finding a healthy alternative to gain exp without having to do missions but I do not want to see missions become completely useless just because people don't like doing them, they are still a necessary part of how things work and obtaining both Jewels and EXP as well as character development.
    Kyoto
    Kyoto

EXP & Jobs N51AM3g

Post by Kyoto Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Like I said I'm fine with both (mission and topic exp gain) just wanna keep mods on toes for bs social posts to gain large amounts of exo.
    Norou Shikage
    Norou Shikage

EXP & Jobs TatR81B

Post by Norou Shikage Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:46 pm

I mean what exactly constitutes a bs post? Just because someone doesn't post right to the point? For instance when I rp I prefer to be extremely descriptive. My word counts are usually very high because of this.
    Kyoto
    Kyoto

EXP & Jobs N51AM3g

Post by Kyoto Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:45 pm

BS posts are posts of random posts that are just random and not going any where or towards character development imop
    Norou Shikage
    Norou Shikage

EXP & Jobs TatR81B

Post by Norou Shikage Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:10 pm

Fair enough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:37 pm