Fairy Tail Online RP

Height limitations {also other limitations} Z0wCCXI

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Fairy Tail Online RP

Height limitations {also other limitations} Z0wCCXI

Fairy Tail Online RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome ! Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969. You have made 37 posts! Please welcome our newest member, https://fairytailonline-rp.rpg-board.net/u326!

Site Maintenance. Please Move Here: www.fairytailhaven.forumotion.com

Height limitations {also other limitations}

Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

Height limitations {also other limitations} FcB4idF

Height limitations {also other limitations} Empty Height limitations {also other limitations}

Post by Ean Sableheart Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:27 pm

Frankly the issue was brought up and apparently rules were set. I wasn't aware. It seems nobody was aware. So we're starting the conversation now. Any argument on the topic is to go here. What you think any maximum's and minimums should be or if there should be any at all.

As for me personally I'm supporting the human laws. Meaning if I can think that a human can survive it, they can survive it.

For height, the highest known altitude anyones reached is 19,520 feet. The highest permanent settlement sits at 16,700 feet. The death zone, as it is called when the lack of oxygen becomes so great humans can't survive at all, is at 26,000 feet.

Now in terms of combat, none of these heights are realistic, as in combat you'd still have a lack of oxygen, and that lack of oxygen would prevent you from dealing with high stress. So continue the research.

Of the 140 million people living above 8,200 feet have completely adapted to the lower oxygen levels and can perform all the tasks necessary. Again, we're talking about long term exposure and acclimation to the environment. If you just got to that level you aren't dealing with the issue.

Moving on, to sports or athletic events. Due to increased altitude having negative or positive effects due to, records set at high altitudes have an "A' next to them to indicate that they were set at a high altitude. This altitude is set at 1,000 feet.

So after the data I believe that we can set our maximum at 900 feet just below and exactly 3 football fields in length. However I'm also setting this as a maximum up to SS-rank. Meaning all different ranks would have different limits. Say X-ranks can go above the 1,000 feet but since nobody will be x-rank for a while I'm leaving all that for later.

The final issue comes down to abusive combat tactics as if you could fly so high and just fire projectiles, with our no mana system, you'd be invincible because nobody could hit you as well as you could hit them. So maximum spell distances would have to be set equal to or above the height limits.

Proposed height limits:
    D-rank: 100 feet (about 30.5 meters)
    C-rank: 300 feet (about 91.5 meters)
    B-rank: 500 feet (exactly 152.4 meters)
    A-rank: 600 feet (about 182.9 meters)
    S-rank: 750 feet (exactly 228.6 meters)
    SS-rank: 900 feet (about 274.3 meters)

edit: no member aside from Ean, Wukong, or Bacon is allowed to post on this currently. While you are allowed to read hold your opinions till later. This got out of control a short while ago so things are going to be a little tight this second.

Last edited by Ean Sableheart on Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bacon
    Bacon

Height limitations {also other limitations} D3kALDY

Height limitations {also other limitations} Empty Re: Height limitations {also other limitations}

Post by Bacon Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Can ya convert it to meters? >.>
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

Height limitations {also other limitations} Empty Re: Height limitations {also other limitations}

Post by Ean Sableheart Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:27 pm

height limitations updated.
    Bacon
    Bacon

Post by Bacon Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:52 pm

For character perk... Id like to leave it just below D rank level. Only with magic can they 'upgrade' the height. That way it isn't exploited in char app. What do ya think?
    Sun Wukong
    Sun Wukong

Height limitations {also other limitations} ODFYPdI

Post by Sun Wukong Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:27 pm

The final issue comes down to abusive combat tactics as if you could fly so high and just fire projectiles, with our no mana system, you'd be invincible because nobody could hit you as well as you could hit them. So maximum spell distances would have to be set equal to or above the height limits.

I would like to address this first, no matter what sort of tactic you are using in combat, unless you are literally doing something your character cannot do, there should be nothing wrong with it. If you so choose to fight you are accept a few facts: You could be seriously injured, you could die, you do not know what your opponent is capable of (unless you have seen what they are capable of prior or you have been given knowledge of their capabilities prior to the fight.)

Thus, the words "abusive combat tactics" shouldn't be used. If you cannot fly that is your own fault and thus you should make up for it by other means. There is nothing that says spells cannot be homing to a certain degree, AOE's are still effects when fighting someone in the air while you are on the ground and there are several other ways to go about fighting someone when they can fly and you cannot, flying = invincible in any way shape or form. With that said I would like to move on to the important matter at hand.

Your proposed height limits look completely perfect to me, Nice job~

Bacon wrote:For character perk... Id like to leave it just below D rank level. Only with magic can they 'upgrade' the height. That way it isn't exploited in char app. What do ya think?

I disagree with this, whether it be via perk or magic, since there is no real mana system, you aren't exactly losing anything on one end or the other whether you choose to have flying via perk or magic and I think it would make sense for the height you can go to be relevant to your characters rank regardless of whether its magic or perk. This would make the most sense with the way Ean has described how being able to go up higher works.

Last edited by Sun Wukong on Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bacon
    Bacon

Post by Bacon Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:12 am

Hm... Cause the only issue I had was that the numbers are too "large." But, after I googled something close to home: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transamerica_Pyramid

I now have an idea of how high this is. So, I'm perfectly fine with this although I'd like capping the use to a few posts
    Sun Wukong
    Sun Wukong

Post by Sun Wukong Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:19 pm

So you just wanna lower the numbers?
    Bacon
    Bacon

Post by Bacon Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:So you just wanna lower the numbers?

I did before but now that I have an idea of how high 900 feet is, it's not that bad 0.o
    Sun Wukong
    Sun Wukong

Post by Sun Wukong Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:46 pm

alright so everything's good, yes~? If so, unless Ean wanted to change anything about this then were good 2 goe~
    Raina
    Raina

Height limitations {also other limitations} 89wWcWF

Post by Raina Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:59 pm

(Bacon said this thread is now open for all of staff)

Okay guys, just for records. They has been arguments with some characters (including myself) where people have tried to have 6 or more wings and they were denied. The issue here is that certain Races like Bardo's Fallen Angel and My Seraphim has those numbers of wings due to lore and such. Changing that on our characters essentially negates the right to use those races which is completely uncalled for an rp site.
    Mizuko
    Mizuko

Height limitations {also other limitations} N51AM3g

Post by Mizuko Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Raina wrote:(Bacon said this thread is now open for all of staff)

Okay guys, just for records. They has been arguments with some characters (including myself) where people have tried to have 6 or more wings and they were denied. The issue here is that certain Races like Bardo's Fallen Angel and My Seraphim has those numbers of wings due to lore and such. Changing that on our characters essentially negates the right to use those races which is completely uncalled for an rp site.

The current excuse for that is that they'd be too heavy, but, inherently, wings are extremely light. Otherwise, they wouldn't be able to float on something as light as air. Six individual wings working midair has nothing to do with the weight. In fact, it helps decrease the weight of the person to help them fly better, as you get more air control from more wings.
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

Post by Ean Sableheart Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:38 pm

really don't know what the issue is with wings. As long as your not trying to pass it off as making you a 'better flyer' and it doesn't complicate any system in place then it's perfectly fine.

Visuals are never problematic.

If they aren't trying to directly abuse or get around a system that's been built its probably fine. Don't get uppity over small little things. This is not an mmorpg where you need to factor in every tiny little detail from the get go. This is a writing site. If you don't let them write what they want you aren't doing anybody any favors.
    Kitten
    Kitten

Height limitations {also other limitations} TatR81B

Post by Kitten Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:38 pm

this done?
    Administrator
    Administrator

Height limitations {also other limitations} 89wWcWF

Post by Administrator Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Mmm, so first of all no wings are not light, just to get that out of the way. They don't even float on the air, and pretty much the only wings that do operate with their weight being lighter than air kept in mind is likely insects. Feathers individually are light, but so is paper; attached to wings which have skin, muscles, bones (granted bird bones are fairly light to begin with), etc., wings would undoubtedly drop. Like airplane wings,feathered wings operate via buoyancy and division of air currents to force its body to rise, in very layman terms. Basically, literal physics makes the existence of any humanoid creature with wings (without very special additions to their bodily composition and physiology), entirely impossible. That being said, physics should have nearly (since I'm neither advocating anything drastically going against outright logic) no place in making sense of the abilities of a species as people write them. Simply consideration towards their sensibility in magic-based context (considering most of these abilities should probably be attributed to magic to make them possible) and fairness in practical use.

Multiple wings? Well, will these multiple wings change the ability in their flight in comparison to other characters' species abilities? Just getting that outta the way for future reference; this topic looks for the most part fairly concluded.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content