Fairy Tail Online RP

Grading Efficiency  Z0wCCXI

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Fairy Tail Online RP

Grading Efficiency  Z0wCCXI

Fairy Tail Online RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome ! Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969. You have made 37 posts! Please welcome our newest member, https://fairytailonline-rp.rpg-board.net/u326!

Site Maintenance. Please Move Here: www.fairytailhaven.forumotion.com

Grading Efficiency

Mizuko
    Mizuko

Grading Efficiency  N51AM3g

Grading Efficiency  Empty Grading Efficiency

Post by Mizuko Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:21 pm

Okay, so I’m sure it’s something we’ve all noticed lately. Apps get graded strangely, due to people’s different personalities and levels of acceptance/expectation, and then people get grumpy because they believe that something on their app that got blocked is essentially the same to something on another app that got though. I know it happens, you know it happens, essentially, it’s part of being staff, at times. Well, I’ve thought of a little something that might help us push past some of those variation problems, and actually get some happiness around here (other than the abundance we have, but more happiness is always a good thing ^>^) What I’m referring to is something I came up with while talking to Kyoto earlier today, and he agreed that this seems like a good idea.
    This idea? 1 moderator = 1 section. Of course, we can have more per section, to get things done efficiently, but that’s where the problem came from, right? If anything, one section should have no more than 2 moderators (the Magic section and Character sections are probably ones that’ll need 2). Now, it’s a simple idea, but it’ll clear up loads. Moderators know what to do, and when, because they’ll have their own section to watch, and not have to constantly watch all the forums plus the staff topic (because we all know there are people who forget to post there). As well as this, moderators accidentally stealing other people’s apps for grading will stop, because it’ll be one person, and it’ll be your job to grade the app, simple as that. Plus, there will be none of the aforementioned problem where people grade differently and things turn out unfair for some of the members.
    Now, I’m already hearing it. “But some moderators aren’t active enough to do that.” Well, if they’re not being active, they shouldn’t be staff, now should they? This is a group effort, and a group is only as strong as its weakest link. If they can’t keep up with it, then they have the option to bow out peacefully, or maybe move to dev if there’s room. But if you’re staff, you should come to know and expect the workload that comes with it. It’s a title, and all titles come with work, no matter the job. To earn the title of ‘Dr.’ you have to earn an entire degree, no? To become ‘President’ of ANYTHING, you have to put your effort into be given the honor of being chosen for that position. Staff is the same thing, guys. It’s a title, and you have to deserve a title to keep it.
    I’m getting the feeling this could turn into somewhat of an essay if I keep typing, so I’ll stop here. But yeah, as a summary:
    Split the moderators and give them each a section to work in, no more than 2 a section, and probably no more than one for the smaller sections. Give the more active moderators the harder forums to grade, and the ones that are newer to staffing simpler ones, such as the Stats section. This will make things much more efficient, and honestly, I think the site will be a lot better because of it. Thank you for reading!
    ~ Mizu
    Lady
    Lady

Grading Efficiency  ODFYPdI

Grading Efficiency  Empty Re: Grading Efficiency

Post by Lady Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:27 pm

I agree with this COMPLETELY. There are mods that have difficulty in one area compared to others, while there are some that excel in particular areas. I also agree that staff HAVE TO BE ACTIVE. I know i have not been a part of this team long but this is nothing new to me. This will also make it easier on staff as a whole so apps do not get overlooked. Now, because of your 1 and 2nd approval system either both mods have to be super active or you assign 3 to a section. that way if one is not around things can still be taken care of.
    But we do all work as a team so EVERYONE should be aware that they may need to step it up in order to cover areas due to emergencies or excused staff.
    Kyoto
    Kyoto

Post by Kyoto Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:29 pm

I agree and no the lazy ones can't be devs✌
    Ryoshi
    Ryoshi

Grading Efficiency  TatR81B

Post by Ryoshi Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:38 pm

I'm neutral on this. I agree that the way we grade things should be changed, but not to that extent.
    Selenia
    Selenia

Grading Efficiency  Qm1sqjP

Post by Selenia Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:41 pm

Too late Kyo Razz

In all seriousness tho, the only problem I have with this is that what happens if someone disappears? Then that section has no one. I think I have a solution to this tho - if you're good at something, grade a lot of those apps. But if no one likes magic apps, we still have to grade them, so the point I'm trying to make here is feel free to grade and grade but you can't just kick back once your section is empty, especially considering character apps are always gonna be fuller but magic apps are usually harder to grade. Idk if this makes any sense because I just got out of a three hour stats class but yeah!
    Norou Shikage
    Norou Shikage

Grading Efficiency  TatR81B

Post by Norou Shikage Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:48 pm

So long as we get some sort of way to make grading much more uniform in manner i'm for it.
    Genesis
    Genesis

Grading Efficiency  Qm1sqjP

Post by Genesis Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Honestly I'm neutral to this.

There are pros and cons to this system.

Cons:
    • If we simply isolate mods to one certain category, they become professions at it however their skills will also become weaker on other categories.

• If we leave only one mod in charge of a category, for example stats there will be nobody to grade it when that said mod goes inactive or has to leave due to life issues

• Say nobody has posted an item/pet/weapon for 3 months. What will the mod in charge of that be doing while they wait?

Pro:

• More knowledgeable mods can take care of harder apps easier

• Apps in a said category is grader much more efficiently with one mod in charge, which means less nagging

• Those categories with tons of apps building up can be taken care of much quicker

That being said, I don't particularly like this system however I'm not against it either. I'm simply neutral to this and I'll see how this plays out.
    Bacon
    Bacon

Grading Efficiency  D3kALDY

Post by Bacon Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:57 pm

read the above and I'll be touching each point separately in order to convey the entire idea of what needs to be done, etc.

Apps get graded strangely, due to people’s different personalities and levels of acceptance/expectation, and then people get grumpy because they believe that something on their app that got blocked is essentially the same to something on another app that got though.

This, I completely understand, but I don't believe it's an enough reason to completely redefine the idea and concept of the moderator job. Why? Because the members have a choice. If they truly want something as a perk or spell and they saw it somewhere else, then why do they not give us the links and guide us through why it should be accepted as is? If they indeed want the thing, then they should also put the effort in as well to secure their right to it. That's how I see it although I will say this, we do really need to take care of the moderator problem.

This idea? 1 moderator = 1 section. Of course, we can have more per section, to get things done efficiently, but that’s where the problem came from, right? If anything, one section should have no more than 2 moderators (the Magic section and Character sections are probably ones that’ll need 2). Now, it’s a simple idea, but it’ll clear up loads. Moderators know what to do, and when, because they’ll have their own section to watch, and not have to constantly watch all the forums plus the staff topic (because we all know there are people who forget to post there).

No, no and even more no. We barely even have enough people grading as is, why add more to the workload? People can get busy and with the implementation of this, the approval time will get doubled due to the lack of hands ready to go. What if they go on vacation? What if an emergency happens? What if there's a lot of apps and you either don't have the time or just cannot grade due to limited technology for a period of time? Furthermore, I will need every single moderator who takes a section to be perfect with their grading skills. I am in no way allowing a moderator whom makes mistakes every now and then be assigned to a particular section. Sure we're all human, but if one or two moderators will be assigned to a section each, they better be sure they can grade.

As well as this, moderators accidentally stealing other people’s apps for grading will stop, because it’ll be one person, and it’ll be your job to grade the app, simple as that. Plus, there will be none of the aforementioned problem where people grade differently and things turn out unfair for some of the members.

Honestly, this is due to lack of communication. Moderators sometimes don't even bother to look at the help desk to check apps or, if they do, they don't bother to put claimed to the application. Sometimes, they don't even bother to read the edits already done and written on the application. Therefore, the only thing that I see that needs to be changed here is more communication

Now, I’m already hearing it. “But some moderators aren’t active enough to do that.” Well, if they’re not being active, they shouldn’t be staff, now should they? This is a group effort, and a group is only as strong as its weakest link. If they can’t keep up with it, then they have the option to bow out peacefully

I agree. I'm ready to kick out those that don't step up their game too. Not only moderators as well but also development as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lady wrote:I agree with this COMPLETELY. There are mods that have difficulty in one area compared to others, while there are some that excel in particular areas.

Sure, and I agree. But again, if we do implement this, I'll bring back the old tier system and every single moderator (except Selenia) will start at the bottom again and work their way up. I'll also be reviewing activity extremely close as well as their progress in grading. I'm willing to do that despite how busy I am if deemed necessary, but I don' believe in the system given with moderators only being allowed to touch one particular section. After all, how are they going to learn and expand on their skills if they can't grade a particular something? Even with your "step it up" thing with emergencies that may occur, not giving the moderators experience in that field would be far from helpful when the time comes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kyoto wrote:I agree and no the lazy ones can't be devs✌

^agreed lol
    Lady
    Lady

Grading Efficiency  ODFYPdI

Post by Lady Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:15 pm

After reading some of the responses i think i need to redefine a little on my response. I agree that something needs to be done about the way things are being handled, dropping links in chat is a ill effective way of handling it. I do not particularly care for separation of mods because we ALL work as a team, even dev.
    What i suggest is promoting 1 admin/moderator to over look that section JUST TO MAKE SURE THOSE AREAS ARE BEING HANDLED APPROPRIATELY. For example. We have say 12 moderators and Selenia is promoted to be in charge of character applications. Selenia will go through and not only grade what he can, but make sure apps are being graded by INFORMING other moderators. Also, if there are questions about applications, all questions would be directed towards Selenia. ( Meaning that the admin/moderator in charge must have knowledge and excel in that particular area ). Now this doesn't mean that Selenia ONLY does character apps, he will also grade magic apps or whatever. I mean we already ask certain people ( Selenia ) questions about certain areas anyways ( Magic ).

But by making sure that the questions are all getting answered the same is what will fix the issue of misgrading..... That and inform members that they can argue their reasoning.
    Mizuko
    Mizuko

Post by Mizuko Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:24 pm

Lady wrote:
    After reading some of the responses i think i need to redefine a little on my response. I agree that something needs to be done about the way things are being handled, dropping links in chat is a ill effective way of handling it. I do not particularly care for separation of mods because we ALL work as a team, even dev.
    What i suggest is promoting 1 admin/moderator to over look that section JUST TO MAKE SURE THOSE AREAS ARE BEING HANDLED APPROPRIATELY. For example. We have say 12 moderators and Selenia is promoted to be in charge of character applications. Selenia will go through and not only grade what he can, but make sure apps are being graded by INFORMING other moderators. Also, if there are questions about applications, all questions would be directed towards Selenia. ( Meaning that the admin/moderator in charge must have knowledge and excel in that particular area ). Now this doesn't mean that Selenia ONLY does character apps, he will also grade magic apps or whatever. I mean we already ask certain people ( Selenia ) questions about certain areas anyways ( Magic ).

But by making sure that the questions are all getting answered the same is what will fix the issue of misgrading..... That and inform members that they can argue their reasoning.  

I'll agree wholly with practically all of these. Sure, I get you guys don't like that idea. It was just an idea ^>^ We really, really do need some sort of organization here. A moderator being in charge of a section, just to make sure things get done, I personally think is a great idea. Hopefully it would smooth things out, and avoid the problem of having to sort people into categories.
    Kyoto
    Kyoto

Post by Kyoto Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:40 am

As originally posted I agree you have a main mod for a section and secondary mods in place that can grade if that main mod is away. So let's say Selena main category is magic, secondary mods could be Genesis and (insert name) So if Selenia does have to many or is away Genesis and the other mod may assist.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:07 am