Fairy Tail Online RP

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs} Z0wCCXI

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Fairy Tail Online RP

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs} Z0wCCXI

Fairy Tail Online RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome ! Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969. You have made 37 posts! Please welcome our newest member, https://fairytailonline-rp.rpg-board.net/u326!

Site Maintenance. Please Move Here: www.fairytailhaven.forumotion.com

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs}

Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs} FcB4idF

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs} Empty SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs}

Post by Ean Sableheart Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:21 pm

At the beginning of your app approval you get a certain amount of ~insert experience unit here~. People use exp and invest in magic and special skills. There is a limit as to how much exp can overall use based on that three class system I described here(no link yet). There’d also be a limit as to how powerful you could become in your skills beforehand. Basically you spend exp to improve your magic and skills in rank rather than your character, so you could become proficient in a variety of forms of magic or you could improve in a variety of other ways.

People can then make spells or techniques based on those special skills.

There will be four general kinds of skills: Magic, Proficiencies, Attributes, and Customs

Magic is self explanatory, it is a type of magic and the main form of combat, A starting mage can have one magic skill available to him and can unlock more through a variety of methods(discuss these methods later). Improving one's Magic skill increases the relative power of the spells involved in it while still improving.

Proficiencies are your ability to use certain tools or weapons. You can have multiple proficiencies and these are very specific. One may be about swords while another about lances as they are two different weapons and need to be taught entirely separate(logic). How specific we get depends on another day. Martial arts also fall under proficiency. Everyone has one proficiency slot to start. Improving ones proficiency improves your ability to use said weapons.

examples of proficiencies: short swords, great swords, polearms, axes, handguns, Martial arts, bows, knives, etc.

Attributes are physical talents. These include, strength, speed, endurance, etc. Should you not have an Attribute invested in as a skill, it will be assumed normal human ability. Everyone starts out with two available attribute slots. Improving these gives you an edge in raw-nonmagical based assaults. These are the closest thing we have to 'stats' here.

examples of things that are not attributes: resistence to magic, magical power, mana, sensory talents, etc.

Custom skills are unique talents for the character not listed. Again, huge amounts of details and cannot be a form of magic, eliminates the need to give magic a bunch of different abilities that may or may not make sense. Everyone has one Custom skill slot to start.

Improving anyone of these skills increases the strength of the spells that can be used. For example if one has a 'c-rank' level of skill in their magic they can only use c-rank and d-rank spells. How many spells can also be involved. The only skills that can not have techniques directly involved in them are Attributes.

Multi-skill spells/techniques: Things get touchy here and I'll need help with this. :p

A skill break down of how things would look for a starting mage goes like this:

Magic Skill:
    Proficiency skill:
    Attribute/proficiency skill (one or the other the choice is yours):
    Attribute skill:

ranking each:

Each type of skill goes through rankings. When you rank up in each skill you can have stronger spells or your spells get the advantage against lower ranked opponents, baring elemental weaknesses(ie fire vs. water will typically result in water winning)

For example: If you have a c-rank skill in fire magic and your opponent is a d-rank spell in lightning magic and you both use d-rank spells, yours will win out.

Ranking up requires a certain amount of experience which is paid for.

Ranks are as follows: D, C, B, A, S, and SS.

Based on what type of skill it is you'll need a certain amount which grows for each rank up:

Magic skills:
    Spoiler:

Proficiency skills:
    Spoiler:

Attribute skills:
    Spoiler:

Custom Skills:
    Spoiler:

IMPORTANT: SLAYER MAGICS HAVE RESTRICTIONS ON HOW MANY DIFFERENT KINDS OF MAGIC THEY CAN HAVE. PLEASE GO HERE(link not added) FOR MORE DETAILS.

S-RANK SKILLS:

Your class determines how many S-rank skills you can have. Let's call them S's.

You can acquire more through rp and providing substantial character development to the admins for approval. Acquiring an S gets increasingly difficult as you acquire more and more.

SS-ranking would cost 2 S's

Mage: 1 S. (maximum 2)
    S-rank Mage: 2 S (maximum 3)
    Legendary Mage: 3 S (maximum 5)

ACQUIRING MORE SKILLS:

Acquiring more skills happens via purchasing to start, then becomes massively difficult through rp after a certain point. How much you acquire is determined by the kind of skill being purchased and how many you already have via these charts:

magic skills:

Proficiencies:

Attributes:

Any number of additional skills gained must be acquired via character development and will be massively difficult to get approved. So yes, custom skills must be attained via character development.

Maximum number of skills one may possess is 10. By possess I mean use.

SPELLS AND TECHNIQUES

These are the moves you typically fight with. Every time you rank up your magic and skills, you gain a certain number of skills in these areas. This section discusses only how spells pertain to skills. For more detailed description please go here(link not added yet)

spell rank can never exceed your magic rank. If your magic is B-rank you can not have an A-rank spell.

Note that if the approver of the magic says to change whether a skill is a spell or technique than do so. If you feel you were wronged or unreasonably nerfed, contact an administrator with your complaint and they will look when they have time. In the meantime simply use the approved version.

In the case a spell involves a skill and a magic (think 90% of Erza's moves canon) then it will use the lowest ranked skill as its base.

If the spell is a combination of two types of magic:

How many do you get spells:
    You get five spells to start out with. You may rank these moves however much you like following the above rules. If you want to have nothing but c-rank spells, go for it. Nothing but S-rank spells(assuming you have an s-ranked magic), go for it. However mana costs will vary so it will be best to be more balanced in how you distribute these. Just a suggestion. You also get a spell for free to use in the corresponding skill for each rank up.

How does this system benefit you?

This system allows for a versatility and character development style other fairy tail rp sites haven't completely delivered on without feeling restrictive in that you can develop your character in certain ways. The system isn't linear.

Let's use canon characters as an example. You could play a character like Grey and be very skilled in your magic while being acceptably skilled in a variety of weapons that are created through your magic. Or perhaps you could focus on your magic entirely like Lucy while having a little bit of skill in a weapon like her whip. Or even a character like Bacchus, who has a very simple magic that isn't really taken as far as possible but is so proficient in how he fights physically it completely makes up for any lack of magical potential.

Last edited by Ean Vanguard on Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:32 pm; edited 13 times in total
    13ea
    13ea

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs} ODFYPdI

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs} Empty Re: SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs}

Post by 13ea Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:34 pm

hmmm...yeah, but i think we should just get through our stat system first, exp mp hp and what not....I do have an idea and I plan to start it later.
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs} Empty Re: SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs}

Post by Ean Sableheart Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:36 pm

gi me a holler I'm pretty good with numbers.

Skype is HeeroVillenn
    13ea
    13ea

Post by 13ea Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:37 pm

yup I'll keep that in mind~
    13ea
    13ea

Post by 13ea Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:10 pm

so this is basically the idea i mentioned earlier in the rank thread, except more in depth~

13ae wrote:Now I like this idea, as Tap and Ser know I'm a huge fairy tail fan. I think this idea is worth considering.  But instead of jewels, why not purchase stronger spells and upgrades using exp? Say a D-rank spell would be perhaps 100 maybe 50 exp? And an S class spell would be like 1000, maybe even more? That way people will focus on training and improving their magic rather than getting a letter next to their name to show off how strong they are. Not to mention this'll allow player to custom their magic further, a player would decide weather to save their exp for a stronger spell or spend it on a multitude of lower rank spells to increase versatility? For HP and MP, people can use exp points they gain to upgrade their HP and MP. Again this will allow the players to construct their characters to their style, would they spend EXP points on Hp, MP, or spells? It's up to the player, that way players will not be locked into a specific amount of spells, hp, mp etc. Of course we will have spell/skill templates and a battle system to keep order. But if you enforce this idea, I believe it'll give the site a fresh feel, not to mention it'll encourage variety.
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

Post by Ean Sableheart Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:13 pm

I updated this to make more sense and improve fluidity by putting skills into 4 different general types rather than laying them all out 1 by 1.
    13ea
    13ea

Post by 13ea Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:15 pm

So what does each skill do? The higher the skill the more perks? Like higher accuracy? More physical power? MP cost deduction?
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

Post by Ean Sableheart Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:41 pm

I updated this with an initial idea towards the bottom and a little more detail to what attributes can do in general.

Ultimately how much each skill can do and what is something I'd like to have a fullblown discussion about as someone may have a better idea then mine. I'm trying to keep as much fluidity as possible in this to allow for multiple types of magic to have significant varieties of use.

The general consensus I have in my brain is that the more you invest the more powerful/skilled you are in using it, so the power goes up. If say a d-rank spell vs. a d-rank spell were to collide the one with the better skill rank would win out baring weaknesses such as fire to water.
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

Post by Ean Sableheart Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:08 am

alright so I updated this (again).

New method.

After reading anything, ask any and all questions not immediately answered. If they are and you missed it, I'll answer in the next update. If they weren't, the update will include the answers. This is how I'll finish this without to much bullpoop and a lot of loopholes to abuse. It won't be perfect when/if it becomes our system but it should be as close as possible to start with more being noticed over the course of the first year assuming we live that long without an implosion of gastronomic amplitude. And poop flying everywhere.
    Bacon
    Bacon

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs} D3kALDY

Post by Bacon Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:22 am

Ean Vanguard wrote:We could also do something where better apps get more exp but that’s for another day.

Maybe for give some for creation of history?

Ean Vanguard wrote:At the beginning of your app approval you get a certain amount of experience(exp). use exp and invest in magic and special skills. They would have a limit as to how much exp they could overall use based on that three rank system I described previously. There’d also be a limit as to how powerful you could become in your skills beforehand. Basically you spend exp to improve your magic and skills in rank rather than your character, so you could become proficient in a variety of forms of magic or you could improve in a variety of other ways.

People can then make spells or techniques based on those special skills.

I agree with this... I'm also adding in that we're giving the EXP another name right? Runics(?) as it's going to be a currency?

Ean Vanguard wrote:There will be four general kinds of skills: Magic, Proficiencies, Attributes, and Customs

Magic:

Proficiencies:

Attributes:

Custom:

What I'm seeing from this is that this is going to be similar to this kind of format? Except with Proficiencies  being stricter? Note: This is honestly the only stats system I've really come to like.

Question with Proficiencies, how would that work? Would the 'slots' work like 'ability' slots in this instance? Choosing a weapon category outright and that would be it or what do you have in mind? Will it be points? I'm unsure of what you mean here 0.o

For customs, we would be eliminating magic abilities then? To give room to gain custom abilities? That way it wont be abused?

Ean Vanguard wrote:A skill break down of how things would look for a starting mage goes like this:

Magic Skill:
    Proficiency skill:
    Attribute skill:
    Attribute skill:
    Custom Skill:

ranking each:

Each type of skill goes through rankings. When you rank up in each skill you can have stronger spells or your spells get the advantage against lower ranked opponents, baring elemental weaknesses(ie fire vs. water will typically result in water winning)

Again, unsure of how the EXP/R. will be broken down to fit into the template? Maybe just an example of using the template to insert points into it would be great o.0
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

Post by Ean Sableheart Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:32 pm

This was updated again however not to correct errors with Serenities questions(I didn't notice them sowwy) ;_;

The ranks would be a little vaguer to answer the question. Allowing for more free form rp without letting you do whatever you want.

Proficiencies are basically tool usage, or martial art usage if you want to use those instead. Basically if you want to use swords, you need to buy a proficiency and set that proficiency to swords. More complex and powerful swords require higher ranks in that sword proficiency. If you want to use highly advanced weapon techniques that aren't entirely magic based, you would need a proficiency that said your talented enough to use this weapon like this.

I've also gone about acquiring more skills and how many skill slots you can acquire.

Proficiencies could also be used to determine how many weapons one could carry.

As for custom abilities replacing special abilities for magic, for now no, as custom abilities aren't supposed to have any affiliation with a persons magic and be about personal skills one has that don't fall into other skills(basically just really weird anomalies. They'll be rare and select). I've been thinking I should take them out of the starting five and just have everyone start with 4 skills.

Lastly, giving more experience for history sounds like a great idea. Promotes more effort. :D
    Bacon
    Bacon

SKILLS AND SPELLS {Magic rules and stuffs} D3kALDY

Post by Bacon Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:56 am

Ean Vanguard wrote:This was updated again however not to correct errors with Serenities questions(I didn't notice them sowwy) ;_; <- dont worry about it :3 (S.)

The ranks would be a little vaguer to answer the question. Allowing for more free form rp without letting you do whatever you want.

Proficiencies are basically tool usage, or martial art usage if you want to use those instead. Basically if you want to use swords, you need to buy a proficiency and set that proficiency to swords. More complex and powerful swords require higher ranks in that sword proficiency. If you want to use highly advanced weapon techniques that aren't entirely magic based, you would need a proficiency that said your talented enough to use this weapon like this.

I've also gone about acquiring more skills and how many skill slots you can acquire.

Proficiencies could also be used to determine how many weapons one could carry.

As for custom abilities replacing special abilities for magic, for now no, as custom abilities aren't supposed to have any affiliation with a persons magic and be about personal skills one has that don't fall into other skills(basically just really weird anomalies. They'll be rare and select). I've been thinking I should take them out of the starting five and just have everyone start with 4 skills.

Alright. Updated magic template although I'm assuming the skill and whatnot would be in another application correct? And I'm liking the proficiency idea. Although adding in the idea, if not previously thought of yet, that each 'proficiency' should be a varying exp./r. due to the rarity and commonality of each skill.

As to your new updates, i like the idea. Right now i dont have anything to say as i have to disappear in a few. I'll pop by later after work though and look at this in depth.

Ean Vanguard wrote:Lastly, giving more experience for history sounds like a great idea. Promotes more effort. :D

Yip. It gets people to actually make a history for the 'bonus' and not leave the forum section blank Razz
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

Post by Ean Sableheart Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:32 pm

The skills stuff should go in the same section you have your magic (no point in making more clutter when it can all go in the same spot).
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

Post by Ean Sableheart Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:06 pm

making sure everyone reads the old stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:41 pm