Fairy Tail Online RP

[WIP] Character Ranks - Page 2 Z0wCCXI

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Fairy Tail Online RP

[WIP] Character Ranks - Page 2 Z0wCCXI

Fairy Tail Online RP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome ! Your last visit was Wed Dec 31, 1969. You have made 37 posts! Please welcome our newest member, https://fairytailonline-rp.rpg-board.net/u326!

Site Maintenance. Please Move Here: www.fairytailhaven.forumotion.com

[WIP] Character Ranks

Mizuko
    Mizuko

[WIP] Character Ranks - Page 2 N51AM3g

[WIP] Character Ranks - Page 2 Empty Re: [WIP] Character Ranks

Post by Mizuko Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Okay, that makes more sense then. I was under the impression that this was going to be a thing per class. Like, D-Class Speed, or D-Class Strength. Seen it done before, and it does NOT work all that well. I'll agree with this then. It seems like a good class system. In this respect, are you trying to make it so that all stats are combined with ranks, or just the one Focus? And if just the on Focus, are the other stats going to be ignored, or considered the same as anybody else's?
    Bacon
    Bacon

[WIP] Character Ranks - Page 2 D3kALDY

Post by Bacon Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:47 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:
    Mizuko wrote:Combining stats and ranks seems to be getting a bit more complicated than need be. Stats and ranks together create needless confusion, as far as I'm seeing. How on earth is one supposed to easily differentiate between the different types of each rank? It's brain overload, almost. I like the rank system itself, but with the different types of each rank, is there going to be a specific marker to define the difference? Right now, the difference between a speed based D-Rank mage, and a non speed-based D-Rank mage is pretty much nonexistent.

Well as far as "need to know" information goes, the "Focus" would either go on the character application or the magic application, I would think that is the best place to put it. As far as other people seeing that information, as long as its on something important it's fine because, especially IC, your character wouldn't be able to simply tell if someone is faster or not without first finding out. The system is rather simple however, so long as you are a rank higher than someone you are clearly better, if you are a half a rank higher than someone you simply have the "edge" in that focus and if you are equal..then you are equals.

Also it won't get much more complicated than this either because every character will have only 1 Focus (possibly a maximum of two via shop purchase) so it just allows each individual to get to gently diversify their character from the normal of "everyone's skills are the same"

But would I work similar to 'Occupations' within One Piece sites? For example, if I wanted to 'focus' on speed, I'd put it in a section of the app. From there, have an 'occupation' ability. For example, for speed, I'd be able to successfully 'dodge'  any level spell once a thread. Or for, let's say a mana focus, an 'occupation' ability would be 'able to use any low rank spells without the use of mana.' Stuff like that. Is that what you're thinking or am I thinking something else? >.>
    Sun Wukong
    Sun Wukong

[WIP] Character Ranks - Page 2 ODFYPdI

Post by Sun Wukong Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:50 pm

Mizuko wrote:In this respect, are you trying to make it so that all stats are combined with ranks, or just the one Focus? And if just the on Focus, are the other stats going to be ignored, or considered the same as anybody else's?

So out of the 5 Different things you can choose to focus on, you are allowed to pick 1 (and possibly buy 1 more later on) and once you have done that it sticks with you through all levels. So say I pick Mana as my focus when im D rank, even as an S rank my focus is still mana. As for the others, yes they would be considered on the same level as everyone else which is why I keep hinting at the fact that via some sort of means I believe you should be able to gain a second Focus so you can have two stats which make you stand out from a crowd.
    Zed The Workaholic
    Zed The Workaholic

[WIP] Character Ranks - Page 2 OPwF1AW

Post by Zed The Workaholic Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:50 pm

If what I am getting at is you want this in a naruto stat base system where the user can be a High Rank mage but certain stats could or could not be equal to their actual rank like say Speed is B but Strength is A so if they fought someone with a Speed of A but strength of B they would be slower than the opponent but stronger in terms of rank making the battle less prone to Meta and the like?
    Sun Wukong
    Sun Wukong

Post by Sun Wukong Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:52 pm

Serenity wrote:But would I work similar to 'Occupations' within One Piece sites? For example, if I wanted to 'focus' on speed, I'd put it in a section of the app. From there, have an 'occupation' ability. For example, for speed, I'd be able to successfully 'dodge'  any level spell once a thread. Or for, let's say a mana focus, an 'occupation' ability would be 'able to use any low rank spells without the use of mana.' Stuff like that. Is that what you're thinking or am I thinking something else? >.>

Myself personally I am not a fan of pairing stats and stat levels with abilities mainly because then you'd have to greatly expand upon this (reminds me of how elder scroll skills work xD) but im sure we could figure something out like that, if that is something that you really want to do.
    Sun Wukong
    Sun Wukong

Post by Sun Wukong Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:54 pm

Zed wrote:If what I am getting at is you want this in a naruto stat base system where the user can be a High Rank mage but certain stats could or could not be equal to their actual rank like say Speed is B but Strength is A so if they fought someone with a Speed of A but strength of B they would be slower than the opponent but stronger in terms of rank making the battle less prone to Meta and the like?

No, lets say for instance you are an S rank. Without focus, all your stats are simply whatever the S rank stats are. With the focus system added in you are now able to choose one focus meaning that, say you chose strength? All your stats are S rank except for your strength, your strength is technically S rank and a half.
    Zed The Workaholic
    Zed The Workaholic

Post by Zed The Workaholic Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:58 pm

that seems rather. . .monotonous
    Sun Wukong
    Sun Wukong

Post by Sun Wukong Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:59 pm

How so? This is also why I keep suggesting that there should be allowed a total of two focus's. That was someone could either put a double focus on one thing, effectively raising them a whole rank in something or having two different ones. And in depth stat system becomes too complicated and an extreme hassle plus, using ones rp skill is also a good way to make or break a battle of "stat-wise" even skill.
    Mizuko
    Mizuko

Post by Mizuko Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:05 pm

The Occupation thing seems a bit complicated, in away. Also, this is a FT site, not a One Piece one, so things are bound to be different. One Piece doesn't focus so much on inate ability as FT does, and so it'll have more item basing than FT sites would need.
    Sun Wukong
    Sun Wukong

Post by Sun Wukong Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:09 pm

I rather agree with Mizuko on this one, makes a good point about it.
    Krow
    Krow

Post by Krow Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:27 pm

I'm kind of against the whole Focus bit, since there will undoubtedly be people, who like myself, would want to be able to advance in all areas, not just one. I'm someone with a long history of role-playing, so I usually know how to keep everything legit, with everything increasing as I go. I feel we need to stick with just a simple Class System, no reason to complicate it with extra aspects.
    Zed The Workaholic
    Zed The Workaholic

Post by Zed The Workaholic Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:28 pm

I just think Halving power is just gonna be oddly mathed.
    Ean Sableheart
    Ean Sableheart

[WIP] Character Ranks - Page 2 FcB4idF

Post by Ean Sableheart Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:16 pm

Sun Wukong wrote:As far as how high the ranks go, with the current manga its very clear that mages can go very far above and beyond simple S rank. I would suggest adding SS, X and perhaps an L rank as well.

When we talked you mentioned of a struggle between wanting to do ranks and wanting to do stats. For this I suggest a sort of "Focus" system. In this system the normal Mage ranks will apply to every character but also with every character you are able to pick a "focus" meaning something that they personally excel at. For example these focuses could:

- Strength: Having a focus in strength means that your character is physically stronger than other mages of their rank that do not have a strength focus.

- Speed: Having a focus in speed means that your character is physically faster than other mages of their rank that do not have a speed focus.

- Endurance: Having a focus in endurance means that your character is physically more durable than other mages of their rank that do not have an endurance focus.

- Magic: Having a focus in magic means that your characters magic is more potent in damage than other mages of their rank that do not have a focus in magic. This does not mean that their spells are "stronger" or would trump a mage of equal rank's spell but that, should they land a hit with their spells, they cause a little more damage than a mage who doesn't have a focus in magic.

- Mana: Having a focus in mana means that your characters mana pool is slightly larger than those of their rank who do not have a focus in mana. Having a focus in mana would allow you to cast more spells per thread without tiring as quickly than those who do not have a focus in mana.

If its in red it must be destroyed. On a magic site it would be spammed the hell out of and become meaningless.

Magic on the other hand as a stat really has no purpose because spells are probalby going to be ranked here so there's no point in making a stat that adds more to this. From what i've noticed none of the staffers wanna do math (although if you make systems you gotta be able to do some algebra).

If we do employ any kind of numerical statistic, make it exclusive to physical traits.
    13ea
    13ea

Post by 13ea Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:36 am

how about make it unranked...instead make it a number. For example someone would spend exp....runes...money or whatever currency we use to upgrade things like this. Like one I spend 50 exp on speed I get like +10 speed. However the next upgrade regardless of which trait be it mana, speed, or power, will be more expensive. The more upgrades you have the higher the price making it difficult to abuse it have all your traits maxed. Like for example someone who has more mana will most likely have less endurance, physical power etc. This is just a suggestion. If we go with this idea we can figure out a number cap, and the rate of the increase of price for every upgrade. I strongly recommend this idea instead of a letter grade, this will clearly portray the advantages and dis advantages a player may have. Not to mention depending on the build this can increase the diversity of the character builds for each person on this forum. If you guys are interested in this idea I can draft a general idea of what the system would look like.
    Mizuko
    Mizuko

Post by Mizuko Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:24 pm

Spending experience like money is a big NO in my opinion. Never in your life will you lose experience. Nor in any game will you LOSE experience. It's just a common sense thing. It's really hard for you to unlearn things you learn going about daily in life. However, you CAN lose money, or jewels, as it is here. That's why the jewels are there. To spend. Changing them for experience and making people spend their intelligence, essentially, to get better, is counterintuitive.
    13ea
    13ea

Post by 13ea Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:18 pm

no I didn't mean exp as experience itself....it's kinda like runes....or stat points you can spend....IDK we actually had an idea before but nope. We got something new so...I have no clue what yall want. lol I'll just mosey along and let yall do yo thang XD

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:52 pm